On the marshes where East Oakland's creeks met San Leandro Bay, Melrose was an early (and explosive) industrial powerhouse and remained a nexus of much of Oakland's industrial might between the World Wars and beyond. Inland, the neighborhood had a high school by 1908, and in 1916 was awarded the first of Oakland's new Carnegie branch libraries. Stroll its commercial spine on International Boulevard, decipher its instructable street pattern, and reflect on residential uses of the Fremont Theater and the Melrose Baptist Church 75 years apart. A level walk.
Leader: Betty Marvin and Pamela Magnuson-Peddle